Saturday, November 30, 2013

Why do cats suckle and lick people?

I found this article very interesting because a little under 2 months ago I found a kitten and ever since we found him he licks us and tries to nurse on blankets clothes and even our arms. I found this behavior to be normal at first because he was a little kitten but as he grew he contented this strange behavior. So I decided to look why possible causes for this and I would like to share with everyone what I found. Cats who often suckle or lick people excessively is a sign that the cat may have been orphaned or weaned to early (ASPCA). I found this particularly interesting because I found my kitten milo when he was about 3 weeks old and he was very malnourished. A study shows that kittens shouldn't be taken away from their mother or the rest of the litter until at least 6 weeks of age and some people even say they should stay with this mother to as much as 12 weeks of age (ASPCA). When a cat suckles or licks it comforts them and could also be a sign of stress or anxiety (ASPCA). This behavior can become compulsive for the cats, where no matter what you attempt to distract them with they won't stop (ASPCA). As I read through this article I couldn't help but wonder if there were any ways to help treat my cat from this problem. After continuing with my reading I found that there was. One way is to simply enjoy your cats affection (ASPCA). Another way is to take away what ever the cat is nursing on as a form of punishment by getting up or walking away or removing the blanket (ASPCA). One could also give the cats more attention because the behaviors could start when the cat is feeling left out, so playing with them and petting them could potentially help stop the behavior (ASPCA).


                     

                              Milo when I first found him he was only 3 weeks old here.


                                             Milo at 9 weeks old.





http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/cats-who-suckle-and-lick-people

No comments:

Post a Comment